South Placer Fire District (SPFD) was formed in 1952 and was administered as part of the Citrus Heights Fire District (CHFD). CHFD operated a paid Fire District and brought a paid administrative staff to SPFD to oversee volunteer operations. In 1962, SPFD formally ended its agreement with the CHFD and the CHFD chiefs that were working at SPFD became the first full-time paid personnel of the organization.
In 2017, the South Placer Fire District and its neighboring fire department, Loomis Fire District, consolidated. This consolidation helped increase efficiency and improve operations, while increasing fiscal responsibility.